Monday, September 28, 2009

September 17th update

Dear friends and family,

Thank you for your prayers and concerns regarding my mom.

I just realized we have marked SIX YEARS since September 16th, 2003 when Mom gave her last piano lesson, her last student went out the front door, then after dinner Mom ate some dessert, did some laundry, and while folding clothes that evening had a major stroke which would set her on a changed course.

We are planning to go to the Bay Area to see her again this weekend, leaving home tomorrow (Friday) and traveling back either on Sunday or Monday. We saw Mom last Wednesday, September 8th. She was so much thinner than when we saw her in July. Eating and drinking is becoming more difficult. She has a “Swallow Alert” band on her wrist. When we saw her on Sept. 8th, I asked her if she’d like some ice cream. She did want some, so I got a little dish for her. She wanted to eat it herself, but her hand is so shaky that it is a real effort to get the little slivers of ice cream to her mouth. The nurses are kind to bring her milkshakes and of course she has her can of Ensure on hand. That was never her beverage of choice. Mom is so brave.

When we were there, Mom also received her new hospital bed. Up until Sept. 8th, Mom had been sleeping in her electric lift recliner that Steve got for her after her stroke. Now she has a special “air bed” top for the hospital bed, to help guard against sores.

The other day when I called Mom, I asked her, “How ARE you, Mom?” She paused like other times when she is going to respond about how she is feeling, and usually after the pause will come tears. But this time, after the pause came a deep breath and then five soft yet clearly spoken words: “I want to go Home.”

Well, Home is coming closer and closer for Mom. We are so happy for her. Sad for us, of course. But we will see her there someday, because we have also trusted in Jesus to pay the price for our salvation. Year ago, Mom realized that God was speaking to HER in His Word, and she personalized this verse of Scripture, as we all can: “For God so loved Gene, that He gave His only begotten Son, that if Gene believes in Him, she will not perish but will have everlasting life.” John 3:16, personally paraphrased.

I will send out an update after we return home from this weekend’s visit with Mom. I wish I could take time to write to each person individually!

Thank you,

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment