Sunday, November 1, 2009

Saturday

Our whole family was able to be together! What a wonderful gift! Tim drove over after work on Friday, and Anna and Daniel drove over separately. We all stayed at our friend Kelsey Patterson's house and had a big slumber party. Louise made a delicious supper on Friday evening and we had fun together.

On Saturday all of us Jacobsens went up to Redwood City to see Gramma Moose. She was glad to see everyone, but her joy was diminished by the utter frustration of being so miserable with her hunger and not being able to swallow anything that she tried to drink. She wanted to sit with everyone outdoors in the lovely, warm fall weather under the patio umbrella, and we were happy to see her friend Bea Mo who came for a visit, but all of us felt like we were suffering right along with Mom as we saw her struggles in her helpless condition. We went and got the hymnal out of Mom's room, and Tim led us in several old hymns. Mom nodded along with the music and that was nice. The visit was hard for the children, to see their Gramma so miserable. Mom eventually asked to go back to her bed, where her helpers got the oxygen for her and got her more comfortable. We then took turns just sitting with Gramma in her room while the rest of the family visited outdoors. Big sigh. It was a hard day. Little Emma Grace brought much joy with her giggles and smiles and learning to crawl on a big blanket, and she also enjoyed trying to "drive" Grampa Tim's big white truck. I'll post photos when we get home!

Tim had to get back home to finish the alfalfa planting, so he left in the early evening. Anna and Daniel left also for the evening to go to our friend Matt's house for a party, and the rest of us stayed at the nursing home for a while.

The nurse brought the Nystatin and painted the back of Mom's throat, a few minutes before 5:00 PM. Mom was brave and even though it all started to drip down her chin, I encouraged her to close her lips and keep it all in. I lifted her chin and we tried to get it to the back of her throat. I told her it needs to go down her throat to help the infection. The nurses have said that Mom's thrush infection is pretty much cleared up, but if they are continuing to treat it, the medicine really needs to go down her throat if possible to help with any infection that is down there, at least that is what I understand! (My apologies if what I write is not completely medically accurate; I am writing my observations as I just watch and ask questions.)

At shortly after 5 PM, the CNA brought Mom's dinner tray. Mom was not interested in her pureed foods. She unwrapped the top of her orange juice glass, however, and started drinking! I watched her throat and saw that she was really swallowing it! I left for a few minutes and when I came back, the glass was only 1/4 full, and Mom had not dribbled any on the front of her, completely unlike what has been happening since Wednesday. She had a smile in her eyes and we worked on getting some Ensure into her, as well as some water and a little milk. We counted up how many ounces we think went in, and it was about 9 ounces in one hour. Mom seemed tired then and we got ready to leave around 6 PM. It was so nice to see Mom not frustrated.

I think that in the past few days and weeks, there must also have been some times when Mom has been able to swallow. She is maintaining some strength, even while she is most assuredly declining.

Well, that is all for now. We were thankful that the children could say goodbye to Gramma last evening while she was relatively cheerful and not too frustrated.

Thank you again for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment