Monday, November 9, 2009

Sunday evening

I stayed with Mom through the evening and was thankful to spend more time with her. She was mostly relaxed and not too responsive. What a comfort to see her resting peacefully. We keep thinking of how wonderful it will be for Mom to be in Heaven where there will be no worries, no tears of frustration, and no pain.

At times during the evening there was frustration and disorientation. Mom was pulling at her gown and we thought she might be hot, but her skin did not feel overly warm. The nurse came in and gave her something for anxiety, plus she sat with her and held her hand and looked at her face to face.

Twice during the day yesterday Mom looked at a visitor (the pastor who comes to the nursing home, and the nurse) and opened her eyes and smiled up at them with the sweetest smile. For the rest of the day Mom rested for the most part quietly and peacefully with her eyes mostly closed, but did look at us quite a few times as she tried to tell us something. She has almost no voice left but she was trying to say something. I could not read her lips but we tried to keep her comfortable with little sips and swabs of cool water on her lips.

I am reminded of a loving note sent a few years back when we expected that Mom would die soon. Mom's friend Karon Cecy gave the encouragement and reminder of the verse, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His godly ones". Karon reminded us that because Mom is one of the Lord's godly ones, He is watching completely over her, and especially at this time when He is preparing to call her Home. She is precious to Him, and since He is good, whatever He does is good. We are trusting Him to care for our precious Mom in His best way. We had no idea that He would allow us all these years to spend with her. We are thankful, and we know God is in charge.

2 comments:

  1. Jane, I check this blog every morning and night waiting to hear that our precious Gene has gone to meet her Lord and to receive her new and well body and voice. I know she will sing a loud song of praise to God when she is freed from her prison clothes.. You are
    all in our prayers, please know you are being upheld by many who love your Mom and your family.
    Marge and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Moose Family,

    I just received an email from our dear brother in Christ, Keith regarding Mrs. Gene Moose. I was saddened because I know how much you all will miss her and happy at the same time knowing she is celebrating with our Lord in heaven.
    My daughters Stacie and Natalie and I have been praying since she went to the nursing home. I visited her few times when I was living there and had to move back to Hawaii to take care of my mom and now my younger sister who has Lupus.

    We are so blessed to have known Gene Moose your mother, aunty, grandma, great-grandma, friend and sister in Christ to many.

    We are sorry that we will not be able to attend the memorial celebration, but my daughters and I send our deepest condolences to all and will cherish our memories of her. Words cannot heal the pain of losing someone so dear. May God give you all the strength to overcome the pain.

    Hugs of Aloha & Aloha Ke Akua,
    Carolyn, Stacie & Natalie

    ReplyDelete