Her grip is strong, her breathing is getting more labored, and she is struggling with rattling at the back of her throat. Brian and Steve and Kathy along with Colleen are here, and Anna is driving over tonight.
The Hospice nurse has been very helpful. Mom is in good spirits, she seems happy and when I asked her if she is going to Heaven soon she nodded her head.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
More about that Thursday night and the next morning, as I reminisce from home today (Saturday, November 14th)
When I arrived in the afternoon on Thursday, the hymns were playing on the CD player in Mom's room. She really seemed to like the soft uplifting melodies. We sat around her bed and talked to her. She seemed to raise her eyebrows a little bit and also her forehead crinkled like she was trying to smile, but her mouth could not move any more. We took turns going in to sit by her, each one of us children by ourselves and also in small groups. It was a sweet time. Brian had to go home, so he had a special time of saying goodbye.
Later, shortly before 6 PM, I asked the hospice nurse if I could just crawl up on the bed next to Mom, and he helped to gently move Mom over a little tiny bit so I could curl up next to her there. I put my hand on hers and just stroked it. Her breathing was getting less labored as the nurse kept giving her drops of morphine. But she was also not responding much either. Around 6 PM I called Lizzie and she wanted to talk to Gramma, so I put the phone up to Mom's ear and she listened while Lizzie talked to her for a while. After Lizzie finished, Mom seemed to start responding more and she showed happy signs with her eyes and forehead again.
We were all just there in the room with Mom, sharing fellowship with her and one another.
Shortly after 7:30 I looked up from my place next to Mom and saw a pretty face in the doorway. I thought she looked familiar--then I started crying. Louise had come after work. I told her, "I knew you would come!" We had just been through the time of Homegoing for Louise's mom Ruth Patterson not that long ago, and now here we were with Mom who was going Home as well. Louise had a chance to say goodbye to her mother's best friend, and we were glad that she was able to stay for over three hours and just sit with us reminiscing through the night. The nurse in the morning had said "this afternoon or early evening", but Mom was surprising us once again. When Louise came, I believe Mom was still responding to our voices. We still had the hymn CD playing over and over again, and Mom seemed to still really enjoy it. Then, as I was holding Mom's hand, we noticed that Mom had put her fingers together and was moving her own hand in time to the beat, and she seemed to be directing music! So we, the obedient "choir", sang along a little bit! We kept on singing bits and pieces through the night, softly now and then. It was such a peaceful time and Mom was completely comfortable.
Louise finally left around 11 PM, and Mom was still with us. We had all thought Mom would have surely gone Home by then, but the Lord was waiting to take her in the bright dawn of the new day.
When I arrived in the afternoon on Thursday, the hymns were playing on the CD player in Mom's room. She really seemed to like the soft uplifting melodies. We sat around her bed and talked to her. She seemed to raise her eyebrows a little bit and also her forehead crinkled like she was trying to smile, but her mouth could not move any more. We took turns going in to sit by her, each one of us children by ourselves and also in small groups. It was a sweet time. Brian had to go home, so he had a special time of saying goodbye.
Later, shortly before 6 PM, I asked the hospice nurse if I could just crawl up on the bed next to Mom, and he helped to gently move Mom over a little tiny bit so I could curl up next to her there. I put my hand on hers and just stroked it. Her breathing was getting less labored as the nurse kept giving her drops of morphine. But she was also not responding much either. Around 6 PM I called Lizzie and she wanted to talk to Gramma, so I put the phone up to Mom's ear and she listened while Lizzie talked to her for a while. After Lizzie finished, Mom seemed to start responding more and she showed happy signs with her eyes and forehead again.
We were all just there in the room with Mom, sharing fellowship with her and one another.
Shortly after 7:30 I looked up from my place next to Mom and saw a pretty face in the doorway. I thought she looked familiar--then I started crying. Louise had come after work. I told her, "I knew you would come!" We had just been through the time of Homegoing for Louise's mom Ruth Patterson not that long ago, and now here we were with Mom who was going Home as well. Louise had a chance to say goodbye to her mother's best friend, and we were glad that she was able to stay for over three hours and just sit with us reminiscing through the night. The nurse in the morning had said "this afternoon or early evening", but Mom was surprising us once again. When Louise came, I believe Mom was still responding to our voices. We still had the hymn CD playing over and over again, and Mom seemed to still really enjoy it. Then, as I was holding Mom's hand, we noticed that Mom had put her fingers together and was moving her own hand in time to the beat, and she seemed to be directing music! So we, the obedient "choir", sang along a little bit! We kept on singing bits and pieces through the night, softly now and then. It was such a peaceful time and Mom was completely comfortable.
Louise finally left around 11 PM, and Mom was still with us. We had all thought Mom would have surely gone Home by then, but the Lord was waiting to take her in the bright dawn of the new day.
So sorry about your loss. We grieve over your loss, but we are rejoicing that she is seeing Jesus's face right now. Think of it! She is no longer in any pain. I can't wait to see her again someday. Sweet Gene was a wonder to me. She amazed me because she always had a smile across her face. And she always had a sweet spirit. My family and I are going to miss her so very much but looking forward to seeing her again. God bless your family and may He give you comfort at your loss. Hugs and prayers to you. Vera
ReplyDelete