Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday

When I arrived at the nursing home today, Mom was in her recliner chair near the activity room. She is resting peacefully under the watchful supervision of the wonderful nurses at the front desk. They pulled up a chair for me to sit by her. Mom grabbed onto my hand and she has a really strong grip. Her eyes really did not open much during the entire time I was there (from 11 AM to 1:15 PM). The nurse brought some Ensure and the can was on a little table by Mom. I put a tiny bit on a spoon for her; she wanted it but it did not really stay in. So I got a swab and the nurse gave me a cup of yellow mouthwash liquid that I used to swab on Mom's teeth and gums. Later Mom began grabbing for the can of Ensure and I asked her if she wanted some more--she indicated yes, so I tried giving her a little spoon more. After that she did not want any. Mom's blood pressure at 1 PM was 72/40 and her pulse was 77. The nurses comment that she has a very strong grip in her hand for someone in her condition. Everyone is amazed at how strong Mom is. Her lips still are pink and her coloring is pretty good. I asked her if it would be okay for me to go home to Fresno for a couple of days and she did not say no like on other times, so after consulting with Edwin, the charge nurse, I decided it would be okay to scoot home for a bit. Steve has tomorrow off (Veteran's Day) and he said he'd like to come sit with Mom for part of the time, so I pray that it will be a good time for him. Please feel free to come and see Mom if anyone feels led to do so. She is not very responsive at all but I believe she can hear everything we say, and she enjoys hearing the Bible read to her and songs sung.

So--I'll head home and come back later. Will post with news as I hear it.
Thank you again for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment