Monday, October 12, 2009

Mom getting weaker

Hi everyone,

We really are hoping to get over to the Bay Area soon to see Mom again. How I miss her! I've been calling her on the phone, and her voice is noticeably weaker and weaker. Some days it is so faint it's hard to hear her at all.

When I sing to her, she no longer sings the harmony part. I miss that.

For a few days last week, Mom was just about sobbing each time I would call. Talk about breaking one's heart! It is hard enough for me to try to understand Mom's "stroke language" when she is feeling happy. But if she is sobbing it is practically impossible for me to understand her. I started to try a new tactic and not begin the conversation with "how are you?" That was getting too frustrating. Instead, I now begin each call with a cheerful greeting and I start telling her about our day, the weather, and special blessings we've experienced. She really appreciates hearing from us, and it's good to praise God together. "The Lord inhabits the praise of His people."

After we spend time praising, then I delicately inquire how things are going for her. The sobbing is less frequent, and often I am able to find out what might be troubling her without her crying too much. Kathy and I have been comparing notes on this, as Kathy and Steve live only 4 miles from Mom and can pop in if necessary to check on how Mom is doing.

Mom seems lonely and she says she'd like visitors, now that she is settled back in her nursing home. Of course, it is important to remember that Mom tires very easily and she is in a very delicate condition. We are trusting God to orchestrate who He wants to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment